French Onion Soup
The flavour of this soup depends almost entirely on the browning of the onions.
YOU WILL NEED
- 5 - 6 medium-large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- 3 T (45 ml) butter
- 1 T (15 ml) canola oil
- 2 T (30 ml) flour
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) water
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Beef Stock Powder
- Ina Paarman’s Garlic Pepper Seasoning, to taste
- french bread, toasted
- mature cheddar or gouda cheese, grated
Season the sliced onions with Green Onion Seasoning and sugar. Use a large heavy based saucepan. Foam the butter, add oil and seasoned onions. Work over medium heat, sauté the onions until nicely browned, it will probably take ± 15 minutes. Stir in the flour.
Add the water, together with the stock powder and simmer for another 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add Garlic Pepper as needed. Ladle into individual soup bowls. Heap the grated cheese on to the toasted bread and place under a preheated grill and grill until nicely browned. Float slices in each soup bowl. Serve hot.
**Pre-preparation:** This soup improves with keeping. Prepare up to 2 days in advance and keep refrigerated or freeze for 4 months.