Fresh Asparagus Soup with Spinach and Watercress
The essence of Spring in a pale green soup.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 punnet (150 g) green asparagus
- 3 T (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1 cm x 1 cm
- 4 cups (1 litre) boiling water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Vegetable Stock
- large handful watercress and spinach mix
- Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice to taste
- olive oil
- sprigs of fresh watercress
- asparagus tips
Cut the asparagus tips off, about 4 cm long. Slice the rest of the stems into 1 cm lengths. Add the olive oil to a medium saucepan and stir-fry the asparagus tips briefly until bright green. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep on one side. Season lightly with Green Onion Seasoning. Add the onion, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, and potato cubes to the remaining oil and stir-fry until golden and beginning to soften. Add the boiling water and Liquid Vegetable Stock and cook for a further 10 minutes with lid on. Add the pieces of cut up asparagus stems.
Boil open without a lid for no longer than 8 minutes to preserve the bright green colour. Add spinach and watercress, do not boil again. Liquidise the soup until smooth. Add Vegetable Spice to taste. Serve in warm soup bowls garnished with a swirl of olive oil, a sprig of fresh watercress and the reserved asparagus tips.
The soup can be made a day in advance, but reheat just before serving to preserve the fresh green colour.