Frikkadels baked in Chipotle Sauce
Prepare supper for the family using ingredients that are readily available. Baking the frikkadels in the Chipotle Sauce gives them a lovely smokey flavour and a deep brown colour. Serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable or salad.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 1 T (15 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Beef Stock
- 500 g best quality lean pork or beef mince
- 1 x 320 ml Ina Paarman's Smokey Chipotle BBQ Marinade & Baste
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C.
Warm a frying pan. Add the butter, when it foams and starts to brown, add the oil and onion seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning. Stir-fry over medium heat until the onion starts to brown.
Add sachet of Liquid Beef Stock and cook for another few seconds. Leave the onion mixture to cool to room temperature.
Place the meat in a mixing bowl, add ¼ cup (60 ml) of Chipotle Sauce.
Sprinkle the Roast Onion Gravy Powder over the meat. Add the cooled onion mixture and mix in lightly with a knife until evenly blended.
Shape into ± 8 frikkadels (see Ina’s Tip).
Place in a medium size ovenproof dish in a single layer.
Pour remaining Chipotle Sauce over.
To rinse out the bottle
Screw off the cap, add ± 2 T (30 ml) of water, shake and pour over dish.
Bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
To make even-sized frikkadels, shape them with an ice cream scoop or a ¼ cup measure.
For a milder flavour
- Mix ½ cup (125 ml) of Chipotle Sauce with another sachet of Liquid Beef Stock and ½ cup (125 ml) of water
- Mix ½ cup (125 ml) of Chipotle Sauce with ½ cup (125 ml) of plain yoghurt or cream.