Green Pea Soup with Bacon
“Economical and family friendly” sums up this recipe. The bacon can be replaced with one or two smoked chicken breasts or good quality frankfurters.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 1 T (15 ml) canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon, sliced into 2 cm pieces
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Vegetable Stock or Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 4 cups (1 litre) of boiling water
- 4 cups (500 g) frozen peas
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh cream (optional)
Foam the butter in a medium/large saucepan. Add the oil, onions and Green Onion Seasoning and sauté over medium/low heat until the onions are wilted and golden.
Add potatoes and bacon, turn the heat up and stir-fry until the bacon has rendered its fat and is beginning to crisp. Add Liquid Stock and boiling water.
Simmer over slow heat until the potatoes start breaking up, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, boil for 4 – 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add a generous grinding of black pepper. Serve with a drizzle of cream if available.
For a vegetarian variation, leave out the bacon altogether, and use 3 x 25 g Liquid Vegetable Stock.