Green Pea Soup with Basil Pesto
A pale green soup scented with basil, delicious either hot or cold. Fresh peas are not always in season, the frozen alternative is excellent.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 medium or 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 4 T (60 ml) butter or olive oil
- 2 cups (300 g) frozen peas
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 4 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Vegetable Stock or 2 T (30 ml) Vegetable Stock Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Basil Pesto
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream
- fresh basil to garnish
Pre-season the onion, potato and garlic with Green Onion Seasoning. Gently sauté in butter for 5 minutes without allowing it to colour. Add the peas (still frozen) and stir to coat them with the butter. Add the water and Liquid Stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Blend the mixture in a liquidiser or processor. Add Basil Pesto and cream. Taste for seasoning.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Divide the soup into bowls and garnish with the fresh basil.
For a thicker meal in one soup, use the whole 500 g pack of frozen peas.