To quote Gordon Ramsay ‘In my opinion smoked haddock is one of the most under-rated ingredients’ I cannot agree more!
YOU WILL NEED
- 250 g haddock
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh full cream milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 1 T (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 large leek, finely sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
- 2 x 25g Ina Paarman's Liquid Fish Stock
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- pecorino cheese, grated
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Rinse the haddock under cold tap water.
Slowly simmer the fish in the milk with the bay leaf for ± 4-6 minutes. Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and skin and flake. Discard bay leaf. Keep the milk.
Sauté the onion in the butter and oil until golden. Add the leek and potatoes and cook slowly for 5 minutes. Stir in the White Sauce Powder. Add reserved milk, Liquid Fish Stock and water. Cook for 15 minutes. Liquidise until smooth. Add flaked fish and top with grated cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
Never overcook the fish, or it will become dry and tasteless. Follow recipe method and timing exactly.