Hake Stuffed with Mushrooms and Prawns
Hake is the number 1 fish of choice in Spain. It is valued for its delicate fine texture. Baby calamari can be stuffed in the same way.
YOU WILL NEED
- olive oil
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100 g portobellini mushrooms, chopped
- 100 g peeled prawns, reserve a few for garnishing and chop the rest finely
- Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) snipped chives (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 T (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 hake fillet, ±1 – 1.25 kg
- Ina Paarman’s Fish Spice
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 8 mussels on the half shell, lightly steamed
To prepare the stuffing:
Heat 2 T of olive oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
Add the prawns and another 2 T of oil and cook for 2 minutes. Season with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Add the chives and lemon juice.
Remove from the heat and set aside until cooler. Carefully butterfly the fish and flatten lightly with your hand. Season the inside with Fish Spice. Spoon the filling on the one side and be careful not to go too close to the edges.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy bottomed frying pan and fry the fish for about 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Remove fish from the pan. Cover and rest, while briefly stir-frying the reserved prawns seasoned lightly with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Cut the fish into portions.
Paint a thick line of Tomato Pesto on each plate. Position fish portions on the Pesto, garnish with prawns, mussels and fennel fronds.