Home-made Mushroom Soup
This wholesome, easy to make soup, is delicious served with toasted cheese.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 400 g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 T (60 ml) flour
- 4 cups (1 litre) of water
- 3 x 25g Ina Paarman's Liquid Beef Stock
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat a biggish heavy based saucepan over high heat. Add butter, wait until it foams and then add the onion pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning. Stir-fry until the onion is nicely browned and soft. Add the mushrooms and cook them with the onions until they start releasing water. Add the flour and cook for another 2 minutes while stirring.
Add the water, Liquid Beef Stock and Garlic Pepper Seasoning. Turn the heat right down, put a lid on the saucepan and simmer very slowly for 15-20 minutes. Grate a little nutmeg over the soup just before serving.
We make an excellent Mushroom Liquid Stock for Woolworths. Replace two sachets of the Beef Stock with the Mushroom Stock.
This soup keeps well for the next day. Store in the fridge. Also freezes very well.