Hummus with Fried Onion
This recipe was inspired by Mimi Jardin from her book ‘My Portuguese Food’. I served it to weekend guests. They loved it, not only as a starter but for snacks with mini pita breads and even at breakfast with toast.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 onions, sliced into half rings
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ t (2.5 ml) cumin
- 2 x 400 g tinned chickpeas, drained (reserve liquid)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) tahini
- ½ cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman’s Coriander Pesto
- 1 t (5 ml) paprika
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- mini pita breads to serve
- fresh coriander leaves, to garnish (optional)
Fry the onion, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in 3 T (45 ml) oil until lightly browned. Add garlic and cumin and stir-fry briefly to develop flavour.
Leave to cool. Reserve a little of the onion as a garnish.
Place the rest of the onions, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, Coriander Pesto, paprika and Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Add some of the chickpea water if too thick.
Check seasoning. Spoon the hummus into a serving bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Spoon onion garnish over. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge. It improves with flavour every day!
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with mini pita breads.