Janet’s Mince Potato Bake
Everyone is always looking for something new to do with mince, especially if one has a hungry teenage family to feed like my friend and colleague Janet Hacking! The bell peppers are optional or can be replaced with 1 cup grated carrot or apple.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4-5 large potatoes, washed - not peeled
- Ina Paarman's Potato Spice
- 2 T (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- ½ t (2,5ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
- 1 ripe tomato grated (see tip)
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Tomato Pesto
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, seeded and finely cubed (optional)
- 1 x 25g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Beef Stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 x 200ml Ina Paarman's Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated cheddar or gouda cheese (optional)
Adjust the oven rack to middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Boil the potatoes in their jackets until just cooked. Drain and leave on one side. Heat a large frying pan until very hot. Add the oil and as soon as the ‘heat-wave’ pattern appears add the onion pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning and sauté until soft, add mince and stir-fry with a fork, breaking up the lumps as you go.
When the mince is cooked and crumbly, add the Roast Onion Gravy Powder and mix in. Add the grated tomato, Tomato Pesto, bell peppers (if using) and water mixed with the Liquid Beef Stock. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste and add parsley.
Slice the potatoes with skins on into 5mm thick rounds and season generously with Potato Spice. Layer the mince and potatoes in an ovenproof dish, starting with mince and ending with potatoes – 2 layers of each. Prepare the topping by beating the Cheese Sauce with the eggs. Pour this over the top potato layer and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes until nicely browned.
Use a large well ripened tomato cut it in half through the waist. Grate the cut-side on a coarse grater – discard the skin.