Lamb and Potato Hot Pot
Time is often too short to prepare traditional meat-and-three-vegetable meals. Dishes that combine these elements are a boon to the busy cook.
YOU WILL NEED
- 6 lamb leg or braai chops
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) flour
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Beef Flavour Stock Powder
- 3 T (45 ml) olive or canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups (500 ml) butternut, cubed
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 x 400 g Ina Paarman's Tomato, Olive & Chilli Pasta Sauce
- 6 - 8 smallish potatoes, peeled
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- olive oil
Adjust the oven rack to one slot below middle position. Pre-heat oven to 180ºC. Trim surplus fat from chops. Mix Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning, flour and Beef Flavour Stock Powder together. Dip and shake the chops in this mixture. Brown the chops briefly in the oil and transfer to a cast iron pot or casserole dish.
Add the onions and butternut to the pan and stir-fry for 5 minutes just to brown and develop the flavour. Add water to the pan to loosen all the delicious browning. Season to taste with a little more Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning. Tip everything over the chops in the casserole dish. Sprinkle a generous layer of parsley over. Spoon the Tomato, Olive & Chilli Pasta Sauce over.
Slice the potatoes very thinly. Pack the potato slices, neatly overlapping, on top of the meat and vegetables. Season potato layer with Garlic Pepper Seasoning and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with a lid or foil.
Bake for 45 minutes. Lift the lid (or remove foil) and bake open for the last 20 minutes. Serve with a tossed salad.
Use our Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce in place of Tomato, Olive & Chilli Pasta Sauce.
Use 4 large carrots in place of butternut.