Lamb or Venison Potjie with Baby Onions
Don’t be tempted to leave the anchovies out, although they are not traditional, they are the ‘secret ingredient’. The potjie can be done over open coals, on the weber or in the oven. We used a no. 10 flat bottomed pot.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 lamb shanks (about 1 ½ kg) or 3 springbuck shanks and 1 lamb shank, cut into 5 cm pieces
- 3 T (45 ml) canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Meat Spice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 large carrots, cut into rings
- 50 g tin anchovy fillets
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Beef Stock
- 700 g-1 kg baby (pearl) onions, peeled but kept whole
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Classic Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 3 T (45 ml) fresh rosemary needles, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- grated rind of 1 lemon
Brown the shank pieces in the canola oil.
Remove to a plate and season with Meat Spice.
Brown the onion, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning in the remaining oil, add the carrots. Add the anchovies and all their oil to the vegetables and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes and Tomato Pesto. Stir through. Add water and Liquid Beef Stock.
Return meat to pot. Place the lid on the pot and heap some coals onto the lid. Cook on a very slow fire for about 2 – 3 hours. Make sure you keep heaping coals on the lid if cooking on an open fire – otherwise keep the lid of the Weber tightly closed.
Can also be cooked in a casserole dish in the oven at 150°C for 2 ½ – 3 hours.
In a large frying pan with a lid, steam cook the peeled onions in the water until just tender. Add the sugar, Green Onion Seasoning and Balsamic Vinaigrette. Remove the lid and shake the pan over high heat to roll and caramelise the onions. Add the caramelised onions to the potjie. Taste for seasoning.
Prepare the rosemary gremolata by chopping and mixing all the ingredients together. Sprinkle over the meat. Serve with Polenta with Fresh Mielies to absorb the delicious sauce.