Lamb Shank Curry with Spinach
A traditional Karoo favourite. Who can resist an aromatic, satisfying lamb curry on a cold winter’s night, especially if served with spicy little sambals and sauces.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 - 3 lamb shanks, cut into 5 cm lengths (± 700 g)
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 cups (500 ml) hot water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Stock Powder
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 cm x 2 cm cubes
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Tikka Curry Coat & Cook Sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream or coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, finely sliced
- 1 T (15ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
Season the lamb with the Garlic & Herb Seasoning. Place the chopped onion in an even layer in a heavy based, medium/large saucepan. Season with Green Onion Seasoning. Position the meat on top of the onions. Add the Stock Powder dissolved in the hot water.
Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer very slowly until the meat is ‘coming away from the bone’ tender. It will take about 2 – 2½ hours. Add the potato cubes and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto about 20 minutes before the meat is completely soft.
Add the Tikka Curry Sauce and cream, stir through and bring to the boil. Place the well washed and shredded spinach on top of the meat, cover with the lid and allow the spinach to wilt – it will take only about 4 minutes. Stir in Coriander Pesto. Serve with Basmati rice and sambals.
Can be prepared beforehand by cooking the meat and potatoes. Best to add Sauce, cream and spinach when reheating before serving.