Lamb or Venison Potjie
Another winning recipe for the traditional campers. The long, slow cooking method gives this dish the depth and richness one craves during the cold winter months.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1.5 – 2 kg lamb, springbuck or blesbuck shoulder
- 3 T (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Meat Spice
- 2 T (30 ml) flour
- 3 T (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 3 T (45 ml) Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
- 1 x 400 ml Ina Paarman’s Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Stock Powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) green olives, pipped
- 2 t (10 ml) fresh lemon rind
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Rub the meat all over with the vinegar, cover and leave for a few hours or overnight.
Drain, pat dry with paper towel. Season with a mixture of the Meat Spice and flour.
Heat the olive oil in a flat bottom potjie and brown the meat. Remove the meat and set aside.
Add the onion, garlic, Sun-dried Tomato Pesto and red wine. Boil fast without the lid until the wine has reduced by half.
Add the Pasta Sauce. Rinse out the bottle using the water and add the Vegetable Stock Powder. Bring to the boil.
Add the browned meat. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook very gently for 2 ½ – 3 hours, until the meat is tender. See Ina’s Tip.
Add the olives and cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
Top with a mixture of lemon rind and garlic.
To expedite cooking turn the lid of the pot upside down and heap coals into the hollow. See picture No 2.
For the olive fanatics, increase the green olives to 1 cup (250 ml) and replace the Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce with our Tomato, Olive & Chilli Pasta Sauce.
Leftovers are delicious chopped up and tossed into pasta with any leftover sauce.