Leek and Potato Soup
A delicious and filling soup. Served with bread and cheese it is a meal in one. Waxy potatoes with yellowish flesh are particularly flavourful.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 2 T (30 ml) oil
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 4 leeks, well washed and sliced
- 4 medium (500 g) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 3 T (45 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken or Vegetable Stock Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) chopped chives, marjoram or parsley
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream or full cream milk
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning to taste
Heat the butter, until it foams, in a medium size saucepan. Add the oil, leeks, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning and potatoes. Stir-fry for one minute – turn the heat down to low, cover the vegetables with greaseproof paper, put the lid on the pot and ‘smoor’ for 8-10 minutes while stirring once or twice.
Add the water and Stock Powder. Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Puree the soup and one tablespoon of the fresh herbs with a hand held blender or in a food processor until smooth.
Add the cream or milk. Taste for seasoning. Serve with a sprinkling of remaining fresh herbs.