Leek and Tuna Quiche
A divine combination of classic flavours.
YOU WILL NEED
- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ cup (180 ml) cake flour
- 2 T (30 ml) cold water
- 2 leeks, well washed and finely sliced
- 1 t (5ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) butter or olive oil
- 1 T (15 ml) flour
- 170 g tin of solid meat tuna in oil (drain off some of the oil and flake fish)
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh or reduced fat (pouring) cream
- 2 extra large or jumbo eggs
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Butter a 20-22 cm fluted porcelain flan dish or metal quiche pan. Blend all the ingredients in a food processor to form coarse crumbs. Do not overmix. Knead lightly and form into a flat disk. Wrap in cling film and leave at room temperature for at least an hour or overnight. Roll out and line the flan dish, pushing pastry right up against the sides. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Line the dish with baking paper and weigh it down with pastry weights, rice or beans. See our (shortcrust-pastry) (click for step-by-step illustration). Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the paper.
Brush the inside of the pastry with a little of the egg intended for the filling. Bake for another 5 minutes. The egg-wash will waterproof the pastry.
Reduce oven temperature to 180ºC. Place the leeks pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, and cubes of butter into a large frying pan and sauté until soft. It will take about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over and stir to blend.
Stir in the flaked tuna. Spoon the mixture evenly into the pre-baked pastry shell. In a jug, beat together the cream, eggs and Lemon & Black Pepper and pour over. Bake for 30 minutes until the filling is firm and slightly puffy. Serve warm or at room temperature.