Lentil and Carrot Paté
Delicious served with mini pita breads and/or with raw carrot and celery sticks.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 t (5 ml) coriander
- ½ t (2,5 ml) cinnamon
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 4 medium/large carrots, peeled and sliced into rings
- 2½ cups (625 ml) water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Stock Powder
- ¾ cup (180 ml) split red lentils
- 2 T (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- olive oil (extra virgin is best here)
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Coriander Pesto
Sauté the onion, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the oil in a medium size saucepan until soft and beginning to brown. Add the spices and Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and stir-fry gently until the spices become aromatic. About 1 minute.
Add the carrots and continue cooking while stirring for another 1-2 minutes. Add water, Vegetable Stock Powder and lentils.
Simmer slowly for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft and the mixture looks like a thick porridge.
Purée in a processor or blender. Add the lemon juice, and a couple of spoonfuls of olive oil, Coriander Pesto, and a bit more Chilli & Garlic Seasoning if needed. Dish up into a bowl. Serve with pita bread, carrot and celery sticks.
An excellent recipe to make in advance and refrigerate. It improves with keeping overnight in the fridge. Will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge if well sealed in an airtight container.