Lettuce and Pea Soup
Frozen peas are one of my standbys in the kitchen. Combined with finely sliced lettuce they make a delicious light vegetarian soup. Ideal to serve before a meaty main course.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 leeks, well washed and sliced with green tops
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- 1 head of butter lettuce, finely sliced
- 2 cups (350 g) frozen peas
- 5 cups (1,25 litres) boiling water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Flavour or Vegetable Stock Powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
- olive oil
- Italian hard cheese, grated
Melt the butter and olive oil together.
Add the leeks and Vegetable Spice. Sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes until soft. Add the sliced lettuce and peas.
Add boiling water and Chicken Flavour Stock Powder.
Boil for 5 minutes uncovered. Add parsley. Liquidise. Taste for seasoning.
Reheat before serving and drizzle each serving with a little olive oil and sprinkle with grated Italian cheese.