Low Gi Wholewheat Bread
A nice quick-mix yeast bread that requires no kneading.
YOU WILL NEED
- ¾ cup (180 ml) sunflower seeds
- 1 cup (200 g) crushed wheat plus 1 T (15 ml) for garnish
- 3 cups (420 g) whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup (120 g) white bread flour
- 1½ t (7.5 ml) salt
- 10 g packet instant dry yeast
- 1 cup (42 g ) All Bran flakes
- 2 T (30 ml) skim milk powder (or replace ½ cup of the water with fresh milk)
- 3 T (45 ml) molasses or honey (molasses gives a darker colour)
- 1 T (15 ml) oil
- 1 T (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- about 2¼ -2½ cups (560 ml-625 ml) lukewarm water
**Small bread tins 11½ x 6½ cm**
**Large tin 28 cm x 10½ cm x 9½ cm**
Toast sunflower seeds in a non stick frying pan. Reserve ¼ cup (60 ml) for garnish.
Mix the seeds with the dry ingredients. Add the molasses or honey, oil and lemon juice. Add the water and stir well. Pour the dough into one well-buttered loaf tin (22 x 12 x 6 cm) or into 8 mini loaf pans. Sprinkle reserved seeds and a tablespoon of crushed wheat over the top of the bread. Leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the bread from the tin and bake for a further 10 minutes in the oven to crisp the bottom crust.