Macadamia Nut Brownies with Salted Caramel
How can you make a good thing even better? Add Salted Caramel Sauce of course!
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) melted butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh full cream milk
- 1 x 550 g Ina Paarman’s Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 50 g macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- 200 g sugar
- 2 T (30 ml) water
- 5 T (75 g) butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream
- sea salt flakes
Adjust oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter and line a 20 cm square cake tin with baking paper, see pic. Mix brownies according to package instructions. Top unbaked mixture, once in the tin, with chopped macadamia nuts if using. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Cut into squares once cooled.
Serve with Salted Caramel Sauce and pass the flaked salt.
To make the Sauce
Use a small saucepan with a handle. Measure the sugar and water in the pan. Melt over medium heat while gently shaking and tilting the pan all the time. Be patient, it takes time. The sugar will change colour to a golden caramel colour. Remove from the heat and add butter, gently shaking the pan all the time. Add all the cream at once and put back on the heat. Stir to blend. Add a good pinch of salt. Pour Caramel Sauce into a jug. Serve at room temperature. Sprinkle brownies with extra salt flakes when serving.