Main Course Salad of Chicken and Mango
South Africans have an ongoing love affair with mango. Serve this delicious tropical salad for lunch or dinner with a selection of cheeses, fresh bread and a glass of fruity, well-chilled white wine. Modern day ingredients served with traditional style.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 butter lettuce, washed
- 4 smoked chicken breasts, sliced against the grain on the diagonal
- 2 large just ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced
- Ina Paarman’s Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- Ina Paarman’s Honey Mustard Dressing
Spicy pecan nuts
- 2 t (10 ml) olive oil or butter
- ½ cup pecan halves (± 50 g)
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Braai & Grill Seasoning
- ¼ t (1 ml) cayenne pepper
Line 4 individual plates with lettuce and arrange chicken and mango on leaves. Sprinkle lightly with Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning. Drizzle with Dressing and top with toasted spicy nuts (see recipe below). Serve with a selection of cheeses, fresh bread and a glass of fruity well chilled white wine.
Spicy pecan nuts
Heat a heavy pan over high heat. Add the oil and tilt the pan to spread evenly. Add the nuts and shake the pan until the nuts begin to toast. Add Seasoning and cayenne. Quickly remove from heat and shake the pan to coat the nuts. The nuts are best used immediately while hot, but can be pre-prepared if catering for a crowd.
A supermarket rotisserie chicken, boned and skinned works very well for this recipe.
Spicy Pecan Nuts make delicious cocktail nibbles. A combination of nuts and pumpkin seeds also work well. Butter is traditional and gives a wonderful flavour, whereas olive oil is healthier – your choice!