Marinated Steak Stir-Fry
A robust and delicious meal in one that proves one can feed a family on two steaks! Best to pre-cook whole steaks and then slice them later before tossing with veg.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 smallish steaks (± 200 g each) use rump, ribeye or sirloin
- 2 t (10 ml) cornflour
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Honey & Soy Coat & Cook Sauce
- boiling water
- 150 g rice noodles (about half a pack)
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Beef Flavour Stock Powder
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- ¼ smallish cabbage, finely sliced
- ± 200 g broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 large carrots cut into julienne strips
- peanut or canola oil
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ - 1 t (2,5 - 5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- sliced spring onions to garnish
Preparation (can be done well in advance)
Dust the steaks with cornflour on a plate and pour a little of the Honey & Soy Sauce over. Turn and leave to marinade for at least 20 minutes at room temperature.
Pour boiling water over the noodles, add the Beef Stock Powder and stir through. Leave to stand for 20 minutes. Strain, but reserve ½ cup of the stock. Season tomatoes with Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning.
Microwave, separately, the sliced cabbage, broccoli and carrots with 3 T of water for 4 minutes each. Keep on one side, uncovered.
Scrape the excess marinade off the meat and reserve marinade. Preheat a dry wok or heavy based frying pan until very hot. Oil the steaks on both sides. Immediately lay the oiled steaks on the hot surface. Cook until nicely browned on one side, turn and brown the other side. Don’t overcook, the steak must still be rare in the middle.
Remove the steak to a plate, tent with foil and leave to rest. Add a little oil to the pan and stir-fry the tomatoes. Remove from the pan and keep on one side.
Add a little more oil and ¼ cup of water. Sir-fry the cabbage, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms all together. The vegetables should be wilted, but still crisp and brightly coloured. Add the reserved stock and all the Honey & Soy Sauce. Add strained noodles. Stir through and pull the pan to one side.
Slice the meat across the grain into fine slices. Gently toss the sliced meat and roasted tomatoes into the vegetable mix. Add any juices from the meat and tomatoes. Taste and season with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Top with sliced spring onions and serve.