Masala Chicken with Butter
The chicken may be butterflied and prepared with the seasoned butter mixture a day in advance for convenience. Another recipe that makes our traditional South African braais so special.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 large fresh chicken, butterflied
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice or Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 4 T (60 ml) butter, softened
- 1 T (15 ml) grated lemon zest
- 1 T (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter, melted
- ½ cup (125 ml) Ina Paarman's Apricot Masala & Quince Marinade & Baste
To butterfly the chicken, place on a board, breast-side down. Using a sharp knife or a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the chicken open along the backbone, turn over and bend the cut ribs outwards and press down firmly on the breast bone with the palm of your hand.
Season the whole chicken with the Masala Spice or Garlic & Herb Seasoning. Mix together the butter, lemon zest, lemon juice and Stock Powder. Loosen the skin carefully over the breast and spread the butter mixture evenly under the skin, particularly over the breast, to ensure it remains moist.
When you are ready to braai, mix the Masala Marinade with the melted butter and place the chicken over the coals, skin side down, turn when lightly browned. Now start brushing generously with the Marinade and butter mixture while turning regularly. Braai time in total is about 45-55 minutes over slow heat.
Cook the chicken in the oven at 180°C.