Masala Omelette served with Salsas
Serve this delicious lightly spiced omelette with fresh salsas and sliced chiabatta on the side. A delicious and healthy main meal or brunch.
YOU WILL NEED
The basic omelette (Serves 1)
- 2 eggs per person
- ½ an eggshell of water per egg
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala Spice
- 1 t (5 ml) butter per omelette
Red tomato salsa (Serves 2-3)
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 1-2 T (15-30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Basil Pesto
Yellow mango salsa (Serves 2-3)
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, stoned and diced
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 T (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ hot red chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Coriander Pesto
The basic omelette
Use an 18-20 cm non-stick pan.
Beat the eggs with a fork in a small bowl and add the water and Masala Spice. Foam the butter over high heat in a non-stick omelette pan. Swivel the browned butter to coat the base of the pan.
Add all the egg mixture at once. Allow the egg to start setting. Tilt the pan, use a spatula to pull the mixture away from the sides and allow liquid to run in towards the sides of the pan. Keep on tilting and pulling until the omelette has browned on the underside but is still soft and slightly runny on top.
Fold the omelette double and serve.
Red tomato salsa
In a large bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, red pepper and onion.
Add the olive oil, lemon juice, Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and Basil Pesto. Stir through. Keeps well in the fridge.
Yellow mango salsa
In a bowl, combine the mango and yellow pepper with the lemon juice and Green Onion Seasoning.
Add the onion and chilli and mix well.
Stir in the Coriander Pesto.
If mangos are not available, they can be substituted with yellow cling peaches.