Masala Pork Bowl with Minted Couscous and Mango Salsa
Move aside dinner plates, bowls are taking over! The bowl approach to serving combines starch, protein and vegetables with a tasty sauce or two, for a balanced meal that satisfies with every bite! If Mango is out of season, try Papino instead.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 fresh pork fillet ± 400 g or 4 chicken breast fillets
- Ina Paarman’s Masala Spice or Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- canola or olive oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- Ina Paarman’s Apricot Masala & Quince Marinade & Baste
Mango or Papino Salsa
- 1 mango, peeled, sliced and cubed, or 1 small papino, or 1/2 a paw paw
- a small handful of fresh coriander or flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced with green leaves
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ t (2.5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Ina Paarman’s Reduced Oil Lime & Coriander Dressing
- 1 cup (250 ml) couscous
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) boiling water
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Stock Powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh mint, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 T (15 ml) lemon juice
Slice the pork fillets or chicken breasts into ± 1 ½ cm thick slices across. Season on both sides with Masala Spice.
Leave to stand at room temperature while making the salsa and preparing couscous.
Drizzle and brush pork with oil. Brown the pork in a griddle pan.
Remove the meat from the pan and place in an ovenproof platter. Squeeze ¾ cup (180 ml) of the Masala Baste over the meat.
To finish off the meat, give it a little time (10 minutes) in the oven at 180°C.
Mango or Papino Salsa
Mix the cubed mango, papino or paw paw, coriander or parsley, spring onion, chilli and Chilli & Garlic Seasoning.
Dress just before serving.
Mix the couscous and olive oil in a microsafe bowl, add the boiling water and Vegetable Stock Powder. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir to loosen.
Add the mint, lemon rind and juice and stir through. Microwave briefly to heat through before serving.
Divide the couscous between 4 bowls.
Arrange meat on one ⅓ of the couscous base and salsa on the next ⅓. Leave final ⅓ to expose the couscous.
Use the Sticky Plum & Soy Marinade & Baste instead of Masala.