Treat the family to this traditional homegrown bread. Hot out of the oven it is always a winner!
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped onions or thinly sliced leeks
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 4 T (60 ml) butter
- 3 cups (360 g) cake flour
- 1 T (15 ml) baking powder
- 2 ½ t (12,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) mealie kernels cut off the cob (3 mealies)
- 1 cup (250 ml) mealies grated off the cob (2 mealies)
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 3 extra large eggs
- ¾ cup (180 ml) plain yoghurt
Adjust the oven rack to one slot below the middle position. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Adjust the oven rack one slot below the middle shelf. Line and butter a 10 cm x 28 cm x 10 cm deep loaf pan.
Sauté onions, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in butter. Leave to cool. Sift flour, baking powder and Seasoning together. Mix whole mealie kernels, grated kernels, onions and cheese. Beat eggs lightly with a fork and add yoghurt. Sift flour mixture over vegetable mixture and mix to a dough with egg mixture. Dish into prepared pan and bake for 1¼ hours. If the loaf is to be sliced while still hot, use an electric knife or a knife with a serrated edge dipped in boiling water to prevent damage to the texture of the bread.