Meat Loaf with Bacon and Built-in Sauce
This is a versatile and tasty meat loaf. The Peri-Peri Coat & Cook Sauce is also a very good option in place of the Sundried Tomato Sauce.
YOU WILL NEED
- 125 g rindless streaky bacon, (optional, to line loaf tin)
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
- 2 slices white or brown bread, crusts removed, and cubed
- 500 g lean beef mince (or beef and pork or beef and ostrich mixed)
- 1 egg
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning or Meat Spice
- 1 T (15 ml) vinegar
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman's Sundried Tomato Coat & Cook Sauce
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C.
Line a small loaf tin (21 cm x 11 cm x 6 cm) with the streaky bacon. Boil the chopped onion in the water with the Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder for 8 minutes, until soft. Add the cubed bread and leave to cool down a little. Mash with a fork. Place the mince in a mixing bowl. Mix in the egg, cooked onion mixture, Garlic Pepper Seasoning, vinegar and sugar with a small knife or mix lightly by hand. Spoon into the loaf tin. Smooth over the top. Pour the Sundried Tomato Sauce over the meatloaf. Bake for 50 minutes. Allow to stand for a few minutes. Run a knife down the sides of the loaf tin, turn it out onto a rectangular serving planner. The sauce will pool out around the meat loaf.
Our Peri-Peri Coat & Cook Sauce is also a very good option in place of the Sundried Tomato.