Meat Loaf with Bacon and Built-in Sauce
This is a versatile and tasty meat loaf. The Peri-Peri Coat & Cook Sauce is also a very good option in place of the Sun-dried Tomato Sauce.
YOU WILL NEED
- 125 g rindless streaky bacon, (optional, to line loaf tin)
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
- 2 slices white or brown bread, crusts removed, and cubed
- 500 g lean beef mince (or beef and pork or beef and ostrich mixed)
- 1 egg
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning or Meat Spice
- 1 T (15 ml) vinegar
- 1 t (5 ml) sugar
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Coat & Cook Sauce
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C.
Line a small loaf tin (21 cm x 11 cm x 6 cm) with the streaky bacon. Boil the chopped onion in the water with the Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder for 8 minutes, until soft. Add the cubed bread and leave to cool down a little. Mash with a fork. Place the mince in a mixing bowl. Mix in the egg, cooked onion mixture, Garlic Pepper Seasoning, vinegar and sugar with a small knife or mix lightly by hand.
Spoon into the loaf tin. Smooth over the top. Pour the Sun-dried Tomato Sauce over the meatloaf. Bake for 50 minutes. Allow to stand for a few minutes. Run a knife down the sides of the loaf tin, turn it out onto a rectangular serving planner. The sauce will pool out around the meat loaf.
Our Peri-Peri Coat & Cook Sauce is also a very good option in place of the Sun-dried Tomato.