Minestrone with Chicken Frikkadels
It only takes 2 chicken breasts to change this flavourful vegetable and pasta soup into a substantial meal. A perfect healthy choice for the whole family. This soup will also freeze very well.
YOU WILL NEED
Chicken frikkadels – makes 10
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Italian hard cheese, finely grated
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Spice
- 1 large egg
- cornflour for dusting
- 2 T (30 ml) olive or canola oil
- 2 leeks or 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthways and cut into half rings
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Spice
- 6 cups (1 ½ litres) hot water
- 3 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Chicken Stock or 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Stock Powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) small pasta rings, bows, or shells
- 2 large handfuls (± 100 g) of baby spinach or sliced Swiss chard
- extra grated Italian hard cheese
Cut the chicken breasts into large chunks.
Pulse them in a food processor until coarsely minced.
Add breadcrumbs, cheese, Chicken Spice and egg. Blend until only just mixed.
Roll heaped tablespoonfuls into balls. Roll in a little cornflour. Place in the freezer while measuring and preparing ingredients for the soup. Heat oil in a medium/large size pot. Briefly brown the chicken frikkadels in the oil. Spoon them out and keep on one side.
Add leeks, carrots, garlic and Vegetable Spice and sauté for 1 minute. Add hot water and Chicken Stock. Bring to the boil. Stir in pasta and boil for 8 minutes. Reduce heat and add chicken balls. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 1 minute. Taste for seasoning. Ladle into soup bowls. Serve with crusty bread. Pass around extra Italian cheese at the table.