A wonderful classic Italian vegetarian meal in one. Serve with good bread. I love this soup with slices of avocado added just before serving. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 large carrots, sliced into thin rings
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 cups (500 ml) shredded cabbage
- 1 cup (250 ml) peas (frozen are fine)
- 3 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 6 cups (1 ½ litres) water
- 4 T (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken or Vegetable Stock Powder
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Sauté the onion, carrot and celery in the olive oil. When soft and glazed, add the garlic and potatoes. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except parsley. Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Add chopped parsley. Serve piping hot with plenty of crusty bread to mop up every last drop.
This soup improves with keeping. Prepare the day before and keep refrigerated, it will also freeze well.