Moroccan Vegetarian Tajine
A tried and tested favourite.
YOU WILL NEED
- 3 T (45 ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1-2 chillies, finely sliced
- ½ t (2,5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1½ t (7,5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 t (5 ml) Masala Spice
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Sun-dried Tomato Coat & Cook Sauce
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Stock Powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 400 g tin chickpeas
- 400 g tin lentils
- 400 g tin red kidney beans
- ¼ cup (25 g) flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 - 3 T (30 - 45 ml) honey
Sauté the onion, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the oil until soft and golden. Add the chilli, cinnamon, cumin and Masala Spice. Cook over low heat, stirring to prevent the spices from scorching, for about 30 seconds until the onion is wilted.
Add the Sun-dried Tomato Sauce, Vegetable Stock Powder, water and Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Bring to the boil for 3 minutes. Decant the chickpeas, lentils and red kidney beans altogether in a colander. Add drained beans to the sauce. Simmer for ± 10 minutes.
Taste for seasoning. In the meantime toast the almonds lightly in a small non-stick pan. Top the dish with toasted flaked almonds and a generous drizzle of honey. Delicious served with couscous and a salad.