Mussel Risotto with Cheese
An outstanding ‘Saturday night at home’ treat.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 medium/large onion, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) risotto rice e.g. Curtiriso Arborio Rice
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine
- 2 cups (500 ml) boiling water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Fish Stock
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman's Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- 500 g mussels in their shells
- ¼ cup (60 ml) parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
Chop the onion and season with Green Onion Seasoning, while warming a heavy based frying pan. Add the butter, as soon as it foams, add the oil and onion. Sauté onion on medium heat until it softens and begins to brown slightly.
Add the rice and stir-fry until the rice has absorbed all the oil and begins to discolour.
Add the wine and boil fast until reduced out.
Dissolve the Fish Stock in the boiling water and add the Cheese Sauce.
Add the stock mixture ladle by ladle to the rice while stirring. Wait for the stock to be absorbed between additions.
When all the stock has been added – add the mussels. Turn the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes without opening the lid.
Discard any unopened mussels. Serve topped with grated parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Garnish with chopped parsley.