Mustard Pickled Vegetables
One of our best long-life fridge salads.
YOU WILL NEED
- 6 baby marrows, quartered lengthways
- 12 baby corn, halved lengthways
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 chilli, finely sliced
- 3 large carrots, cut into fine julienne strips
- 1 T (15 ml) hot English mustard powder
- 3 T (45 ml) cold water
- 1 cup (250 ml) wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) white sugar
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Mix the mustard powder and cold water and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Bring the vinegar, water and sugar to rapid boil. Mix in the mustard, Seasoned Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the vegetables and boil for 3 minutes. Pack into a clean glass container and fill up with boiling hot pickling liquid. Seal immediately. These pickled vegetables are best after standing for a day or two. Keeps refrigerated for 2 weeks.
To develop the flavour in mustard powder it needs to be soaked in cold water first. Flavour development is stopped as soon as the mustard powder is heated or put into contact with vinegar.