Wholesome and healthy, a traditional South African morning muffin. I prefer to mix the topping and the muffins the night before. Leave the batter in the fridge and bake the next morning just before serving.
YOU WILL NEED
- ½ cup (125 ml) old-fashioned rolled oats (Jungle Oats blue pack)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) dry Ina Paarman’s Raisin & Bran Muffin Mix (see below)
- ⅓ cup (80 g) pecans, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup (80 g) brown sugar
- 1 t (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 4 T (60 ml) butter, melted
- 1 x 700 g Ina Paarman’s Raisin & Bran Muffin Mix (scoop out ⅓ cup for topping)
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 ml) canola or sunflower oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain yoghurt
- 1 cup (250 ml) full cream milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) topping mixture (recipe above)
To prepare the topping:
Combine oats, ⅓ cup of dry Muffin Mix, pecans, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Drizzle melted butter over and mix lightly to combine. Set aside.
To mix the muffins:
Remove the raisin-bag from the foil packet and pour boiling water over the raisins to plump them up. Drain immediately and set aside to swell.
Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease 2 muffin pans. Beat eggs and oil for 1 minute on high speed until well blended. Add yoghurt and milk and beat for 1 minute on high speed. Add contents of pack, drained plumped raisins and half cup of prepared topping. Stir by hand with a wooden spoon ± 40 times until uniformly blended. (Do not beat.)
Spoon mixture into buttered muffin pan/s. An ice cream scoop does the job perfectly.
Sprinkle ± 1 T of remaining topping mixture over the top of each unbaked muffin. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes.
Serve plain or with butter and honey.