One Dish Wonder
A blast from the past! I re-looked at the old recipe, polished it up a little and tried it on the family. They just loved it! You can leave the ham out or replace it with half a punnet of sliced mushrooms if you prefer. I used a layer of couscous (or bulgar wheat) at the bottom to absorb the liquid given off by the tomatoes.
YOU WILL NEED
- ½ cup (125 ml) couscous or bulgar wheat
- 4 ripe tomatoes, skinned and thickly sliced
- Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- 200 g pack baby spinach
- 4 chicken breasts, each sliced on the diagonal into 5 strips
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Spice
- 3 T (45 ml) flour
- 100 g ham, finely sliced
- 250 g chunky cottage cheese
- 1 x 200 g Ina Paarman’s Ready to Serve Cheese Sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) full cream milk
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 180°C.
We used a 21 cm x 28 cm ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle the couscous over the bottom of the dish. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top. Season tomatoes with Vegetable Spice.
Place the spinach in a bowl and pour boiling water over. Leave to stand for 2 minutes. Turn out into a colander and using a saucer, press down on the spinach to squeeze out the water. Spread spinach over tomatoes and season lightly with Vegetable Spice.
Slice the chicken breasts on the diagonal into strips. Toss the strips, in a plastic bag, with the Chicken Spice and flour. Arrange chicken strips over spinach layer, follow with a layer of shredded ham.
Measure all the topping ingredients, in a large measuring jug. Beat with a wire whisk until blended.
Pour over the chicken dish. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes until golden brown and puffy.