Onion and Beetroot Soup
We just loved the vibrant red colour of this soup. By all means drop the vanilla and double up on the coriander. We could not decide which was best. The bicarbonate of soda softens the vegetable fibres so you can process the soup super smooth.
YOU WILL NEED
- 750 g red or brown onions, peeled
- 2 medium beetroot, peeled
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- olive oil
- ½ vanilla pod, split in half lengthways (optional)
- 1 T (15 ml) coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
- 1T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Vegetable Stock Powder
- ½ t (2.5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 4 cups (1 litre) of water
- Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt to taste
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- finely snipped chives
Chop the onions and beetroot roughly. Sauté the onions, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in 2T (30ml) of olive oil, until beginning to soften. Add the beetroot, split vanilla pod (if using) and the crushed coriander seeds. Stir. Cover with greaseproof paper pushed down well on to the vegetables. Cover with a lid as well and sweat over a very low heat for 20-30 minutes stirring once or twice.
Remove the paper when the vegetables are beautifully soft and aromatic. Sprinkle the Roast Onion Soup Powder over and stir it in. Add the Vegetable Stock Powder, bicarbonate of soda and water. Simmer the soup for 20-25 minutes. Fish out and discard the vanilla pod if using. Blend with a handheld blender for a smooth, creamy texture. Taste for seasoning.
Dish up, onto warm soup plates, drizzle with a swirl of olive oil, a grinding of black pepper and a sprinkling of snipped chives. Serve with sesame crusted bread sticks. Any left over soup can be frozen very successfully.