The flower shapes of these baked onions make for a lovely presentation.
YOU WILL NEED
- 20 small pickling onions, peeled
- 2 T (30 ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) boiling water
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken or Vegetable Stock Powder
- 2 T (30 ml) butter, melted
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- chopped parsley
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the onions into chrysanthemum shapes by slicing into eighths down from the tops, but not right through to the root. Open the onion wedges up to form petals. Place them snugly, cut sides up, into a smallish ovenproof dish so that they support each other.
Mix together the sugar, boiling water, Stock Powder and butter and pour this over the onions. Cover the dish with wet baking paper or foil. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove the paper and bake open for a further 20 minutes. Season onions with Green Onion Seasoning.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.