Oxtail Soup with Beetroot, Yoghurt and Gremolata
A robust meaty ‘meal-in-one’ soup, it is full of the goodness of winter’s choicest vegetables. Prepare in two stages. Do the meat the day before, leave to cool, remove the fat from the soup and the add the beetroot for the final cook.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 750 g oxtail (select smaller pieces)
- Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large carrots, sliced into rings
- 2 T (30 ml) flour
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Beef Stock or 4 t (20 ml) Powdered Beef Stock
- 4 large beetroot uncooked, peeled
- 2 T (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- Ina Paarman's Vegetable Spice or Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Tomato Pesto
- plain double cream yoghurt
- Gremolata (grated rind of half an orange, grated rind of one lemon, ¼ cup (60ml) finely chopped parsley and 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped)
Warm a large saucepan. Add the oil and half of the oxtail and brown. Transfer browned meat to a plate.
Season it lightly with Garlic Pepper Seasoning. Brown the remaining oxtail pieces and season as before.
Add the onion and carrots to the pot and stir-fry over medium heat until the onions are golden and glazed. Stir in the flour.
Add the water and Beef Stock to the saucepan. Bring to the boil. Return the meat to the saucepan and simmer very slowly for 2 hours.
Grate the peeled raw beetroot on the course side of a grater. Toss with balsamic vinegar and season lightly with Vegetable Spice or Green Onion Seasoning. Cover and leave to stand in the fridge overnight. Add to soup together with the Tomato Pesto. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Pass yoghurt and Gremolata at the table.
Very good with French bread.