Oxtail with Mushrooms and Baby Onions
During the colder months we always have quite a few requests for oxtail recipes. This is the ideal dish to make a special treat on Father’s Day! The gremolata gives the dish a real flavour lift.
YOU WILL NEED
- 500 g small beef shin pieces
- 125 g rindless bacon, cubed
- 2 T (30 ml) oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 1 - 1.25 kg oxtail, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 3 large onions, chopped
- ½ t (2.5ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 T (45 ml) flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) red wine
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 T Ina Paarman's Beef Flavour Stock Powder or 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Beef Stock
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 500 g pickling onions, peeled and left whole
- 250 g whole button mushrooms
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
Brown the beef shin and bacon in the oil/butter mixture in a big, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside. Brown the oxtail in batches in the same fat. Keep on one side. Season the meat with Garlic & Herb Seasoning as well as Garlic Pepper Seasoning. Brown the onions, pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the same pot. When golden-brown, add the carrots, garlic and bay leaf. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the flour and blend in. Add the wine, water, Stock Powder and Tomato Pesto. Bring to the boil. Place the browned shin, bacon and oxtail back in the pot, cover and simmer very gently for 2½ – 3 hours until the meat is fork-tender.
Remove the bay leaf. Blot off excess fat with a double layer of absorbent kitchen paper. Briefly brown the pickling onions and mushrooms in olive oil in a separate frying pan and add to the meat. Simmer for 15 minutes until onions are just tender. Adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with gremolata and serve with rice or parsley potatoes.
½ cup (125 ml) chopped parsley
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 T (15 ml) grated lemon rind
Mix all ingredients together.