Paella Style Tagliatelle
A very special recipe to make for a special person! The recipe is best half pre-prepared in advance. Do invest in a lemon thyme plant, it really makes a difference to the taste of the dish. Lemon Thyme thrives in a pot in a sunny spot.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Spice
- olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ t (2,5 ml) turmeric
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Fish Stock mixed with ½ (125 ml) cup hot water
- 2 very ripe red tomatoes, skinned and diced
- ½ t (2,5 ml) sugar
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 400 g fresh mussels or 300 g mussels on the half shell or 250 g frozen mussel meat
- 200 g medium size prawns, deveined
- 200 g fresh or dried tagliatelle
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Pasta Spice
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) fresh lemon thyme leaves and soft stem tips
- ½ cup (125 ml) fresh cream
- olive oil
Slice the chicken breasts across the grain into 1cm thick slices and toss with the Chicken Spice. Pre-heat a heavy based fry pan and add 2 T of olive oil. Swivel oil and add the chicken. Turn when lightly browned on the one side then lightly brown the other side. Remove the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon or pair of tongs (no need to keep warm). Add a little more oil to the pan and stir-fry the onion and bell pepper until soft and aromatic. About 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and turmeric. Stir-fry for only 30 seconds. Add the wine, turn the heat to high and fast boil for 2-3 minutes without a lid to reduce by half. Add the Fish Stock mixed with water. Turn the heat right down and add the half-cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, sugar and Chilli & Garlic Seasoning. Simmer for 5 minutes. (Can be pre-prepared to this stage up to a day in advance and kept in a covered pan in the fridge.)
If using frozen seafood defrost first. Stir-fry the mussels and prawns with a little more oil. Add to the chicken and tomato mixture in the fry-pan (do not stir) and cover with a lid. Shake the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
Cook the pasta (without salt) in plenty of fast boiling water for 6-8 minutes. Drain and toss with Pasta Spice, Lemon & Black Pepper Seasoning, fresh lemon thyme, cream and a little olive oil.
Dish the pasta into soup-bowls. Spoon the paella mixture over the pasta. Pass the peppermill.