Pap (Polenta) with Fresh Mielies
Pap made from ground corn is a traditional staple in the corn growing areas of South Africa. We doubled up the recipe to fit into a No. 10 flat bottomed potjie. You can either make the polenta just before serving, as we have done, or make it in advance and pour it into a pie dish. Brush the top with a little oil or butter to prevent a skin forming. Cover with cling film. Cut into wedges and grill on the fire.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 cups (1 litre) water
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman's Chicken Flavour Stock Powder
- ¾ cup (180 ml) coarse yellow polenta or mielie meal
- 2 sweetcorn cobs, kernels cut off
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
Bring the water to the boil and add the Chicken Stock Powder. Add the polenta in a thin stream to the stock while whisking with a wire whisk. Stir in the kernels and Seasoned Sea Salt. Cook slowly with the lid on for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle over the grated cheese and dot with butter.