Peppered Mince Pie with Mushrooms
One of our favourite mince dishes.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 400 g lean beef mince
- 250g punnet mushrooms, sliced
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Beef Stock Powder
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman's Garlic Pepper Seasoning
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman's Ready to Serve Pepper Sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) flour
- ½ t (2,5 ml) baking powder
- ½ t (2,5 ml) Ina Paarman's Seasoned Sea Salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) full cream milk, buttermilk or plain yoghurt
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Warm a dry heavy based frying pan over high heat, add the oil and immediately the onion pre-seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning. Stir-fry until the onion is nicely browned.
Add the mince and use a fork to break up the lumps, cooking until redness disappears. Add mushrooms and just stir through to blend all the flavours.
Remove pan from the heat and add Stock Powder, Seasoning and the Pepper Sauce. Stir to mix and dish into a rectangular medium size ovenproof dish (16 cm x 23 cm).
Measure the flour into a mixing bowl, add the baking powder and Seasoned Sea Salt and make a hollow in the middle. Break the eggs in the hollow and beat them into the flour with a wire whisk. Beat in the buttermilk. Pour the batter over the mince mixture to coat evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Delicious with fresh bread and a salad. Alternatively serve with parsley potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
For a milder flavour use Ready to Serve Mushroom Sauce instead of Pepper Sauce.