Peri-Peri Chicken Casserole
The flavour of this traditional South African dish will improve if pre-prepared in advance and refrigerated. Slow simmering, covered, on top of the stove instead of oven baking will also give good results. I demonstrated this dish on TV.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks, skin on
- 2 T (30 ml) flour
- 1 t (5 ml) cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 t (5 ml) paprika
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Spice
- ½ t (2.5 ml) sugar
- 2 T (30 ml) canola oil
- 1 T (15 ml) butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- grated rind and juice of 2 oranges or clementines
- 1 ripe tomato, skinned and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 x 200 ml Ina Paarman’s Peri-Peri Coat & Cook Sauce
- 1 x 25 g Ina Paarman’s Liquid Chicken Stock
- 4 whole cloves
Adjust the oven rack to one slot below middle position and preheat the oven to 180°C.
Mix the flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, Chicken Spice and sugar in a plastic bag, add the chicken portions and shake.
Sauté the chicken in the oil and butter over gentle heat until golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in an ovenproof casserole.
Sauté the onions in the remaining oil.
Add the orange rind and juice, tomato, garlic, Peri-Peri Sauce, Chicken Stock and cloves.
Pour the sauce over the chicken pieces in the casserole dish.
This dish may be pre-prepared up to this stage and refrigerated overnight.
Bake covered for 1 – 1 ½ hours until the chicken pieces feel tender when pierced with a fork.
Serve with Coriander Rice with Lentils and a fresh salad. Garlic bread is good for mopping up the delicious gravy!