Pickled Butternut with Mustard Seeds
A great long life salad to have available in the fridge during the summer months. Delicious served with braais, cold meat and as part of a vegetarian platter.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 smallish butternut (3 cups), peeled and cut into 1 ½ cm cubes
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- ¾ cup (180 ml) light brown sugar
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 T (30 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- 1 T (15 ml) yellow mustard seeds
Place the cubed butternut in a saucepan. Add water. Boil with lid on for 10 minutes. Add the cider vinegar, sugar, Chilli & Garlic Seasoning, Vegetable Spice and mustard seeds. Boil open for ± 5 minutes until sauce is reduced and syrupy and butternut is tender.
Sterilise clean glass bottles with boiling water.
Spoon the butternut into the glass jars and close tightly. Turn the jars upside down to sterilise the lids. Store in the fridge.