Pickled Caramelised Onions
I keep these in my fridge as a condiment to serve with braais, on hamburgers, boerewors rolls, grilled mushrooms etc.
YOU WILL NEED
- 8 large onions, peeled and sliced into half rings
- 1 cup (250 ml) white vinegar (any cheap supermarket one)
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1¼ cups (310 ml) soft brown sugar
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
Place the sliced onions in a saucepan. Add vinegar and water.
Boil open while stirring now and again for 5 minutes.
Strain through a colander and discard vinegar water. Add the balsamic vinegar, sugar and Green Onion Seasoning to the same saucepan. Bring to the boil, add the onions and boil open until the sauce is thick and syrupy, ±45 minutes.
Sterilize clean glass bottles with boiling water. Spoon the onions into the glass jars and close lids tightly. Turn the jars upside down to sterilize the lids. Store in a dark cupboard until needed.
If using our empty pasta sauce jars, it fills two completely and the other, about ½ full, keep the half full one in the fridge and use first.