Pink Pickled Onions with Citrus
Make at least 2 hours before the time or better still, the day before. Excellent with both grilled chicken and refried beans.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 red onions, halved from top to bottom
- boiling water
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 2 limes or lemons
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
Slice the halved onions very finely into half rings. Pour boiling water over and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and add orange and lime juices, as well as sliced chilli and Seasonings. Stir to blend everything very well. Leave to stand, well covered, in a glass or porcelain container. This relish will keep for up to a week in the fridge.
Tint with a few drops of red colouring if only ordinary brown onions are available.