This German-style potato salad also makes an excellent addition to a picnic or braai. Wrapping the potatoes in newspaper after cooking, is an excellent tip, it helps to dry the flesh of the potatoes and to intensify their flavour.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2-4 medium potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 T (15 ml) finely sliced chives
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced with some of the green tops
- 2 small gherkins, drained and chopped
- Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) pickled capers or caper berries, drained (optional)
- ± ¼ cup (60 ml) Ina Paarman's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes until tender when tested with a fork. Remove from the heat and wrap potatoes individually in newspaper. Leave on one side to allow the starch to cook through and the skin to loosen. Slice the chives, spring onions and gherkins. Unwrap the potatoes. Pull off the skins and cut into 2cm x 2cm blocks. Season with Green Onion Seasoning. Toss, in a mixing bowl, with chives, spring onions, gherkins and capers (if using).
Add Dressing and toss lightly.
Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.