A delicious soup, serve small portions as a starter or bigger portions for a meal in one. Excellent made with salmon or kingklip in place of prawns.
YOU WILL NEED
- 2 T (30 ml) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 t (5 ml) Ina Paarman's Green Onion Seasoning
- 1 T (15 ml) Ina Paarman's Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 2 x 25 g Ina Paarman's Liquid Fish Stock
- 350 g prawns, frozen, deveined and shelled
- Ina Paarman's Chilli & Garlic Seasoning
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm
- 2½ T (37.5 ml) Ina Paarman's White Sauce Powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) full cream milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) snipped chives
- freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a medium large saucepan. Add the onion and Green Onion Seasoning. Sauté the onion, for 3 – 5 minutes, but do not brown. Add Tomato Pesto, water and Liquid Fish Stock. Bring to a slow simmer. Add the prawns, wait for the stock to come to the boil again and immediately remove the pot from the heat. Cover with a lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes to firm the prawns. Using an egg lifter or spatula, gently lift the prawns out of the stock. Place on a plate, season to taste with Chilli & Garlic Seasoning and cover.
Add the cubed potato to the stock and boil for ± 25 minutes until the potatoes are soft and beginning to break apart. Mix a little of the measured milk with the White Sauce Powder and then add it, together with the rest of the milk to the chowder. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add half of the snipped chives and taste for seasoning.
Ladle soup into bowls or tea cups. Top with prawns, chives and freshly grated black pepper.
Use 300 g salmon, skinned and cut into big blocks about 2.5 cm x 2.5 cm.
Kingklip must also be skinned and take great care not to overcook it.
¼ cup of cream added near the end will improve all the variations.