Let’s not forget the vegetarians and vegetable lovers. The hollowed out pumpkin stuffed with well-flavoured vegetables adds a bit of drama and good health to any campfire feast.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 small pumpkin, ± 1 - 1.5 kg
- 8 – 10 pickling onions, peeled and cut into halves
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 1 mealie, cut kernels off the cob
- 2 medium carrots, cut into rings
- ½ small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 100 g fine green beans, halved or 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Spice
- 2 T (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 x 125 g Ina Paarman’s Roasted Red Pepper or Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup (250 ml) Ina Paarman's Masala & Quince Marinade & Baste
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Stock Powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) hot water
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped origanum or chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 T (15 ml) grated lemon rind
Cut a ‘lid’ from the top of the pumpkin.
Scoop out and discard the pips. Keep pumpkin on one side.
Oil the potjie.
Place the pumpkin into the potjie.
Mix all the vegetables together in a mixing bowl. Season with Vegetable Spice and toss with olive oil, Roasted Red Pepper Pesto and Masala Marinade.
Season the inside of the pumpkin with Vegetable Spice.
Pack the vegetables into the hollowed out pumpkin.
Mix the Vegetable Stock with the water and pour it into the pumpkin.
Replace the pumpkin lid and then the lid of the potjie.
Cook on low coals and place a shovel full of coals onto the lid as well, so the pumpkin bakes from all sides.
Cooking time is about 1 ¼ hours. Or bake in the oven at 180°C for 1 hour.
Scoop out a helping of pumpkin and vegetables.
Mix the Gremolata ingredients together and sprinkle a little over each serving.
Tip from Susan Sutherland: Put butter and cinnamon sugar in the pumpkin, close the “lid” and cook as above.