Quinoa is a spinach relative, pronounced ‘keen-wah’, it is sometimes called a ‘supergrain’ because it contains eight essential amino acids. The tiny seeds expand to four times their size during cooking and turn out light and fluffy.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 cup (250 ml) quinoa grains (we used the tri-colour one)
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Vegetable Stock Powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) Ina Paarman’s Classic French Dressing
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 bag baby spinach
- ¼ cup (60 ml) slivered almonds, lightly toasted
Cook the quinoa in the water and Vegetable Stock Powder for 15 minutes. Allow to stand, covered with a lid, to cool. Mix together cooked quinoa, French Dressing and sliced spring onions.
Line a platter with baby spinach and top with quinoa mixture. Toast almonds lightly in a dry pan, sprinkle over salad, just before serving.
Use lentils in place of Quinoa.