Red Cabbage Salad with Ginger
This salad improves if done the day before. The red colour is brought to life by the vinegar. The friend who shared the recipe with us sometimes uses pickled rather than fresh ginger if she has some in her fridge. I personally enjoy this super healthy salad, but I love fresh ginger!
YOU WILL NEED
- ½ red cabbage (about 500 g) or 2 baby cabbages
- 2 t (10 ml) Ina Paarman’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- ¾ cup (180 ml) cider vinegar
- ½ cup (125 ml) light brown or white sugar
- 1 – 2 T (15 - 30 ml) finely grated fresh ginger or pickled ginger
- 1 small red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- green cabbage outer leaves, optional
Shred cabbage with a mandoline or slice very, very finely. Toss with Seasoned Sea Salt. Press into a colander, place weights on top and leave for 3 hours. Squeeze to extract moisture. Whisk remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and add cabbage, stir to coat all the cabbage. Chill for at least 8 hours.
Will keep in the fridge for at least a week.
Serve in green cabbage leaves if available